Monday, July 6, 2009

Kurai Ondrm Illai - Blessed be Thy Soul

Amma, Bharat Ratna M.S Subbalakshmi, is -without question- the best devotional singer born to this day! I have always been a fan of hers, but of late, my interest in her has been rejuvenated for a reason unknown to me. Unlike in my earlier days, when I had to buy audio cassettes to listen to her, thanks to the Internet, I now have everything at my finger tips.
Of course- her voice is amazing, soothing and gives me the goose bumps every time I listen to her, but it is not the voice that interests me the most. If you have ever seen any of her live performances I am sure you too would have noticed what I am about to say: Every time she sings a song, one can see the devotion in her eyes and her actions. 
There is no doubt about it, she was one of God's gifts to this world and I am sure God must have been impressed himself!

I knew that she sang in Telugu and Tamil, but it came as a pleasant shock to me when I heard her singing the Hanuman Chalisa in Hindi! I am at present searching for her other songs in Hindi...Listening to her songs is a bliss and I am glad I discovered it when I did. If you have never heard her before, you have missed a lot my friend and it is not yet late to remedy that

one of my favourite songs: Kurai Ondrum illai, is in Tamil and is in praise of Lord Venkateswara of the seven hills. Listen to that. If you know Tamil, you will be soothed. Even if you do not, I am sure you will get a sense of peacefulness.

This is a link to the mp3 recording of that song:

But I would recommend that you watch the you tube version of this at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKdHPCw3K9c
This was at a live performance and when she was much older than the original. Notice the devotion and the tenor!

No comments:

Post a Comment