Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Win with English

I was attending coaching classes for an entrance exam, when a professor - different from the regular one- walked into the class. I really did not care for this professor as I really liked the regular one - but I was too quick to judge! This class turned out to be one of my most memorable ones and I am - to this date- still in touch with him! Following are some of the learnings I took out of the class:

Always - there is no exception - always, be the winner, for that is the only person the world remembers. If you come in second- remember - You are the first among the losers! If you come in third, you are a loser amongst the losers, you are unfit to even top the losers.
Only a loser talks about sportsmanship and the spirit of participating. Have you ever seen or heard someone saying this to a winner?

The discussion then moved on to English and how intelligent people maximized the utilization of their knowledge of the language.
There is a phrase in English(of course derived from Latin) : Mea Culpa - meaning: I have sinned. There was this British general who was leading his army in Battle in India and won the battle. He sent a telegram to the Queen with the words "Mea Culpa" baffling everyone but the Queen who was smiling! Do you know what it meant?
Well, he had gone for war against a kingdom called Sindh and his telegram conveyed the meaning "I have Sindh". Well, what more can be said - English can be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment